You can use this recipe as a base for any risotto with your choice of vegetables and other ingredients.
2 ¾ cups (680ml) chicken stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small brown onion, chopped finely
1 clove garlic, crushed
2/3 cup (130g) Arborio rice
¼ cup (60ml) dry white wine
¼ cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons finely shredded fresh basil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon sour cream
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
32 baby rocket leaves
170g smoked chicken breast, shredded coarsely
For Risotto –
- Place stock in medium saucepan, bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer, covered.
- Heat butter and half olive oil in medium saucepan. Cook onion and garlic until soft.
- Add rice, stir, add wine; cook stirring until wine is almost evaporated.
- Stir in ½ cup stock, stirring over low heat until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding stock in ½ cup batches, stirring until liquid is absorbed after each addition or approximately 30 minutes.
- Gently stir in cheese and basil. Cover and set aside for20 minutes.
For Cakes –
- Divide risotto into four portions; using hands, shape portions into 1cm deep patty shaped cakes. Refrigerate, covered for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine mustard and sour cream in small bowl.
- Heat vegetable oil in large frying pan and cook risotto cakes, uncovered, until browned both sides and heated through.
- Place each risotto cake on serving plate; top each with 8 rocket leaves, ¼ of the chicken then 2 teaspoons of mustard mixture; drizzle with remaining olive oil.