Try this Maltese-style beef and vegetable broth over the cold winter months for a traditional hearty soup.
Serves 4 – 6
250g beef, diced
1 beef bone (optional)
2 carrots, peeled and cubed
5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
Celery, ends trimmed and sliced thinly
1 turnip, peeled and cubed
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 zucchini, ends trimmed and sliced thinly
1 tablespoon tomato paste
100g of small pasta such as macaroni
- Place diced beef and bone in a large saucepan. Fill with water until contents covered. Boil for 1 hour. Remove bone and discard.
- Add chopped vegetables to pot and tomato paste. Cover and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Boil for a further 15 minutes, partially covered.
- Add pasta, boil for a further 10-15 minutes or according to cooking instructions of pasta.
- Season broth with pepper and salt and serve hot with crusty bread.