This delightful, dark-skinned fruit has a longer shelf life than other avocado varieties, making it the most popular kind in the country. It’s distinctive, textured skin turns from green to purplish-black when ripe. Enjoy the smooth, nutty flavoured flesh in dips, salads, sandwiches, pastas and other delicious dishes. Here are some tips on choosing and cooking with Hass avocados:
- Choose soft, ripe Hass avocados that don’t have any signs of bruising or sunken spots. The skin should be firm and purple-black in colour. Ripe Hass avocados will give slightly when the neck is pushed.
- To ripen an avocado, store it in a brown paper bag with a banana in the crisper section of the fridge or out of direct sunlight.
- To cut the avocado, cut in half lengthwise by running the knife around the pit. Twist and remove the pit and discard. Use a large spoon to run along the inside of the avocado between the skin and the flesh and scoop out of the shell.
- Once ripe or cut, they can be refrigerated, covered, for up to five days.
- Hass avocados are an excellent source of a number of vitamins and minerals: folate, potassium, vitamins C, B2, B6 and B3 as well as vitamin E.
- Team ripe Hass avocados with savoury flavours such as bacon, chicken, prawns, tomatoes, chillies and limes.
- Spread ripe Hass avocado on bread and layer your favourite sandwich fillings on top for a quick, delicious and healthy meal. Filling ideas include poached chicken, tomato slices and mixed baby leaf salad on sourdough bread; sliced roast turkey, diced celery and lemon juice drizzle on a poppy seed bagel; and smoked salmon slices, rocket leaves, and sliced cherry tomatoes on floury tortillas.
- Toss fresh Hass avocado slices through cooked pasta sauces such as bosciola or other cream-based sauces.
- Mash Hass avocado with a fork and mix with grated lemon rind, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and stir through pastas with or without tasty deli meats such as prosciutto or pancetta.
- Make your own delicious guacamole by combining mashed avocado with seedless tomato quarters, shallots, finely chopped and deseeded red chilli, lime juice and chopped coriander.