This thin, shiny-skinned vegetable has a pale, juicy flesh that is ideal for use with beef, prosciutto, cheddar, eggplant, tomatoes and pine nuts. Take advantage of the winter months, as they are the time to find the best quality zucchinis. Here are some tips:
- The best zucchinis will feel heavy for their size and have a firm, glossy skin. They should be well shaped and free of soft spots or signs of yellowing.
- The cream-coloured flesh is a fantastic source of vitamin C and provides some dietary fibre.
- Zucchini is very versatile and can be served either fried, grilled, crumbed, steamed, buttered or sprinkled with herbs and spices.
- Even those who don’t fancy zucchini will simply love zucchini slice. This tantalising savoury slice is a fantastic snack and can be made in muffin cases for a quick and easy lunchbox snack. Most recipes include bacon, however this can be left out for a vegetarian dish.
- Spread zucchini slices over a sauced pizza base and add other gourmet pizza toppings for a delicious and vegetable-full meal. Other topping ideas include mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, prosciutto and eggplant.
- Hollow out cooked zucchini with a spoon and combine flesh with cooked rice, spices, salt and pepper, chopped mushroom and herbs. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese and bake in the oven until golden for a delicious stuffed treat.
- Add zucchini to casseroles, slow-cooked stews and soups for extra nutrients that can’t be picked out by fussy children.